Your Laser Eye Surgeon
Your laser eye surgeon is a qualified medical practitioner and specialist surgeon with over 25 years of experience in Ophthalmology. More people in WA have chosen Dr Phillip McGeorge and Perth Laser Vision to perform their laser eye surgery than any other surgeon or any other centre in Perth, attesting to excellent results and a high level of patient satisfaction. Our laser eye treatment surgeon will personally meet with you at your consultation to ensure the highest level of medical expertise each step of the way.
That is why you may have heard or seen in the newspaper “Ask Dr Phil About Laser Eye Surgery” which signifies his personalised approach to each patient with an individual and tailored solution.
Sophisticated laser eye treatment technology needs expert skills and Dr Phillip McGeorge is one of Australia’s most accomplished and experienced eye surgeons.
Dr McGeorge is internationally recognised and is regularly asked to speak on various topics and present his results at national and world eye surgery conferences.
Dr McGeorge has been a specialist ophthalmic surgeon for over 25 years and has been a pioneer in laser refractive eye surgery since it began in Western Australia.
After gaining his medical degree, M.B.B.S., through the University of Western Australia, Dr McGeorge worked in medical and surgical residency positions in Perth hospitals, before starting general surgery training. Dr McGeorge discovered a passion for micro-surgery of the eye and undertook his eye surgery specialist training through Royal Perth Hospital and other teaching hospitals in WA.
Dr McGeorge passed the examination to become a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (F.R.A.C.S.) and a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (F.R.A.N.Z.C.O.) in 1991.
During his career in ophthalmic surgery, Dr McGeorge has played a leading role in introducing and refining techniques in cataract and refractive surgery in Australia. Dr McGeorge’s achievements include:
- Commenced small incision phacoemulsification (the modern technique of cataract surgery) when it was almost unknown in Australia. He has taught many other Western Australian eye surgeons this procedure. Today it is the procedure of choice in Australia.
- Performed the first corneal incisions and foldable intraocular implants in Australia. Now the most common method amongst advanced cataract surgeons.
- Dr McGeorge was one of the pioneering surgeons performing a technique called micro-incision cataract surgery which is now the norm.
- One of the first surgeons in Western Australia to perform LASIK, wavefront-guided and topography-guided laser eye surgery.
- Dr McGeorge has been working in the refractive field since its inception and has lectured in Australia and internationally. He was a founding member and director of the Perth Laser Vision.
- Dr McGeorge has been an office bearer with the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists.
- Dr McGeorge was a foundation member of the Australasian Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons.
- He is a member of the International Society of Refractive Surgeons, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.
- In 1995, Dr McGeorge founded Murdoch Eye Centre, a multidisciplinary eye specialist centre and in 1997 opened Perth Laser Vision.