Fix Myopia With SMILE Laser Eye Surgery
SMILE Laser is an acronym for Small Incision Lenticule Extraction, also referred to as “keyhole laser eye surgery.” It’s a treatment approved for moderate to high levels of short-sightedness (myopia).
SMILE eye surgery utilises a femtosecond laser. The laser cuts a double layer of corneal tissue beneath the eyes surface. A small section of tissue, called a lenticule, is then manually removed. This is done with a surgical instrument, through the surface cut made with the femtosecond laser.
What Is a Femtosecond Laser?
A Femtosecond laser is a pulsing infrared laser with a wavelength of 1040nm. A femtosecond is one quadrillionth of a second which is the speed at which the laser pulses.
The technology that drives femtosecond lasers has come a long way in the last two decades. The ultrashort laser pulse duration reduces the amount of energy required and limits adjacent tissue damage. This makes femtosecond lasers safe for use in corneal surgeries which require the utmost precision.
What Are the Advantages of SMILE Eye Surgery?
- Dr Phillip McGeorge is Perth’s most experienced refractive surgeon and has performed over 30,000 laser procedures
- Only the most up-to-date, top-performing lasers are used at Perth Laser Vision.
- SMILE is quick – only 25 seconds of a painless laser and the whole procedure takes around 5-10 minutes per eye.
- There is minimal discomfort. A gentle plastic suction ring is used to hold the eye perfectly still and the eyelids held apart with an eyelid speculum.
- The corneal tissue is not vaporized but removed manually by the surgeon.
- There is no flap created as there is with LASIK.
- The femtosecond laser preserves corneal nerves better than LASIK and PRK.
- There is less dry eye and less light sensitivity than with LASIK or PRK.
- Retreatment rates for SMILE are higher than LASIK but still only around 1%.
- Recovery time is usually no longer than a day or two.
When Should You Get SMILE Eye Surgery?
Anyone with a high degree of short-sightedness (myopia) and astigmatism is a suitable candidate for SMILE eye surgery. It can also be suitable for patients who don’t meet the criteria for LASIK surgery.
SMILE is a revolutionary procedure offered by our very own Dr Phillip McGeorge, Pert’s premier refractive ophthalmic surgeon. The SMILE procedure is available at Perth Laser Vision for suitable candidates at no additional cost.
One of the main benefits of the procedure is that it has less impact on the corneal nerves. This also makes it a preferable option for those suffering from dry eyes. And because the cornea heals fast after SMILE eye surgery in comparison to the flap created for LASIK, it’s ideal for people who want to return to contact sports as soon as possible. Recovery is fast, with minimal reported post-surgery complications such as infections, dry eyes or epithelial ingrowth.
SMILE Eye Surgery is not the only form of laser eye surgery that is flapless (PRK is also without a flap).
Call us today for more information or come in for a consultation.